Thursday, April 24, 2008

What a week..and it's just Thursday

Whew! I am tired just thinking of everything that has happened this week! For starters, this past Sunday I committed myself to the church that I have been going to. I took that BIG first step and I am so happy that I did. I feel so complete now. And if committing myself to the Lord and feeling an immense calm over me wasn't proof that this decision was quite possibly the best I have made for myself, then the incident this past Monday proves that God is great and watches over my family. Ryan placed Daniel on his boppy on the couch and ran downstairs. I was unaware that this was happening. As I am cleaning up the kitchen I hear a bump and then a wail. My heart leaped out of my chest and I swear I stopped breathing. I raced over to the living room and there was my poor baby sitting on the floor next to his boppy. He slid of the couch, but only by the strong hands of God did he land on his boppy and bottom and not his head. Aside from some big tears, my baby was OK.
Then Tuesday night I had to deal with a notoriously verbally and physically abusive patient. That previous night he was fine, then no sooner do I go into his room Tuesday that he becomes his charming self. First agreeing to be turned, my CP and I begin and in the process he decides he doesn't want to be turned and starts cursing and swinging at my CP and before I have a chance to back away, he grabbed my arm and starts squeezing and scratching. I had on an isolation gown because this guy has some "super bugs", but that still didn't prevent my arm from becoming red. Oh, how angry was I! I filed and incident report (and not the first filed on him since he's been on my floor) and while talking to security I wonder how a hospital can keep admitting a patient with a long known history of being like this. Makes me wonder how much admin care about their employees...I truly did try to empathize with his situation, but I really could only go so far-especially after my night with him Tuesday. Fingers crossed that he was discharged.
On a lighter note, the weather is changing and the trees have leaves and I am so thankful we have signs of spring! I just feel better when the weather is like this. Although I could do without the birds chirping at 5 in the morning ;)

No comments: