Oh, what a night! I got home from work yesterday and found Daniel and Ryan sleeping together on our bed-so cute. Ever ready for the photo op, I attempted to get a picture, but I think Ryan is just too sensitive to my camera and he noticed and mission: failed :( As they were both getting up, Ryan and I noticed Daniel was BEET RED and he was shivering. I got him into better light and was not at all comfortable with what I saw. I got his temp-normal-but he was still red and shivering. Ryan mentioned he had been fine all day except for one monster spit up. I got Danman's Ped on the phone, explained Daniel and the fact he 'just didn't look right' and we took him to the office. Dr. Mayer checked him and was so concerned we went to the ER-at St. Luke's. I already don't have the best opinion of St. Luke's and it was further irritated throughout the night, but more on that later. Anyway, not knowing what exactly was wrong, we consented to going there instead of SJMMC, and Daniel was admitted.
2 needle sticks later, we had blood drawn, blood cultures sent and IVF infusing. It turns out, his white count was high (the infection cells) and platlets were as well. Ah, a ticket to admission. We spent the night on their Peds floor and it was mostly uneventful, but Ryan and I were not impressed. Praise God that Daniel wasn't acting sickly or I don't know what I would have done. The nurses were nice, but ill informed of equipment and didn't seem to know quite how to handle a tired 8 month old.
It is still a mystery as to why his counts were high, but fluid and IV antibiotics helped being them down so we were able to be discharged. They think possibly the very beginnings of a type of Staph infection that causes "scalding" of the skin, but as of now, the blood culture wasn't growing anything. Daniel is a little susceptible to infection because of his eczema, so I am going to be even more diligent about keeping it soft. I am still so thankful that I called the Ped and got him in. He is of even better spirits today, and still trying to get the forward motion to crawl :) I have no doubt,especially with some of the nursing care that we got, the God healed our boy, and quite possibly stopped an even more serious infection. Thank you Lord!!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment